The Village is extending safe, reliable municipal drinking water in response to a decades long issue with fecal bacteria contamination of private wells
Public Water Main and Well Construction Update – 6/18/21
- Work Area 1, Good Hope Road from Main Street to Lannon Road, will begin on 6/28/21.
- Traffic control signs will start showing up in the Village on 6/21/21.
- Starting 6/28/21, this road will be closed to through traffic.
- Property owners will have access to their driveways
- Information sheets will be delivered door-to-door by the Contractor to affected properties.
- See the chart below for the anticipated schedule for other work areas.
|Work Area||Project Location||Anticipated Start Date|
(Subject to Change)
|1||Good Hope Road from W. Main Street to Lannon Road||June 28, 2021|
|2a||Lannon Road from Elementary School to Diamond Drive||July 19, 2021|
|2b||Parkview Drive, Forestview Drive||July 19, 2021|
|2c||Good Hope Private Driveway (West of Lannon Elementary)||July 19, 2021|
|3||W. Main Street from Townline Road to Flagstone Pass||July 27, 2021|
|4a||Good Hope Road from Lannon Road to east of Emerald Drive||September 16, 2021|
|4b||Diamond Drive from Good Hope Road to the south toward Strube Excavating||September 16, 2021|
|5||W. Edgewood Drive and Circle Drive||September 16, 2021|
|6||W. Main Street and Townline Road Roundabout||October 1, 2021|
|7||State Street, Hemlock Lane, Bay Street, N. Lake Street, and Vine Street||October 5, 2021|
|8||Townline Road from W. Main Street to the north||October 19, 2021|
|9||Lannon Road from W. Main Street to the north||October 19, 2021|
|10||F and W Court||November 15, 2021|
Private Property Work Construction Update – 6/18/21
- Mid City will contact property owners after the water main has been installed to schedule completion of the private property work.
- Note that if you do not provide access to the Contractor, you will become liable for additional costs related to the delays (extra mobilizations, overtime pay, etc.).
- The Village Board has placed a temporary moratorium on the mandatory well abandonment aspect of the Village Ordinances. The Board will consider an ordinance revision that may allow private wells to be kept for outdoor use, but not for drinking water.
- For folks on existing water main, contact the Village regarding a 5-year payment plan option if you cannot pay your $7,692 impact fee in full at the time of connection.
Policy Updates – 6/7/21
- A group of organized citizens has expressed their concerns and allegations of fraud to the Wisconsin DNR, the Wisconsin Public Service Commission, the Village Police Chief, the Village Board, Waukesha County, the USDA Rural Development Department, and to State Representatives. An individual even contacted the FBI alleging that the Village committed fraud. These allegations have been heard by these entities. The USDA-RD legal department has reviewed Lannon’s application materials thoroughly. The following responses affirm that Lannon’s project will proceed:
- Mandatory connections are a requirement of the USDA-RD funding imposed by USDA-RD in their Letter of Conditions. This is common to USDA-RD funded projects and not unique to Lannon.
- USDA-RD has indicated their legal counsel has reviewed Lannon’s application materials and has found no fraud.
- USDA-RD has indicated that the impact fees that Lannon is imposing are common to nearly every community that undertakes a similar project.
- USDA-RD has indicated that private well water quality was not a criterion for loan and grant eligibility or award.
- The Village Attorney indicated that Lannon’s Impact Fee determination follows its past imposition, and together with the Special Assessment being used, constitute methodologies consistent with Wisconsin State Statutes and should be defended as validly formulated. This was discussed at length with Trustee Kelly Jenson, President Don Sommers, and resident Chris Barber at a meeting with the Village Attorney and Village Engineer that took place on May 7, 2021.
- The Village Attorney is working with a family with a unique health concern related to municipal water to identify a reasonable accommodation.
- The project is otherwise proceeding as outlined in the public hearing presentation.
- The Village Board voted 5-2 to affirm its support for proceeding with the Water System Expansion Project on April 21, 2021 following the Spring, 2021 election.
- The Village Board voted 6-0 to appoint Trustee Patrick Yates as the authorized representative of the Village Board for all matters relating to the Water System Expansion to all consultants, contractors, governmental agencies, and financing entities. Trustee Yates continues to make himself available to discuss the project with anyone who is interested.
- The Village Board voted 7-0 in May 2021 to place a temporary moratorium on the enforcement of the well abandonment aspect of the Village Ordinances. The Village Board will be considering an ordinance revision that may allow residents to keep their wells for outside use only, not for drinking water.
What is Public vs. Private?
Patrick Yates, Trustee
Official Village Representative for Water System Expansion Project
Questions During Construction
Strand Associates, Inc.
Onsite Engineer During Construction
Urgent Construction Matters
Vinton Construction Company
Private Property Plumbing
Mid City Corporation
Water main and services within the public right of way.
Existing Public Water Mains
These are primarily on Main Street and the Village has been paying the debt since 2008. Properties with an existing main must pay a water impact fee at the time of connection. (~ $7500-$7700)
New Water Main
These will be installed in 2021 and will be paid by a special assessment. This $15,000 Special Assessment will be applied to the tax bill that you will receive in November 2021 and payments will be spread out over 20 years. The interest rate is 2.25% and the annual payment is $940 per year.
Private property work is being completed by the Village’s contractor, Mid-City Corp, and is being paid for directly by Waukesha County and the Waukesha County Community Foundation. Properties must connect within the six months after the water main is installed in the street in front of the property.
Well abandonment costs will be paid as follows: 50% paid by the Waukesha Community Foundations and 50% paid for by the property owner.
Past Meeting Minutes & Information
|Meeting Date||Meeting Type||Notice Type||Water System Topics||Attachments|
|October 2018||Mailer Sent||Post Card–Villagewide|
zip code mailing
|October 8, 2018||Public Information|
zip code mailing
|October 8, 2018||Village Board||Standard|
|April 8, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|April 25, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|May 13, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|May 30, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|July 29, 2019||Mailer Sent||Mailing – Villagewide|
|August 14, 2019||Public Information|
|Mailing – Villagewide|
|September 9, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|October 14, 2019||Village Board||Standard|
|October 14, 2019||Website Posting||Website Posting|
|December 9, 2019||Village Board Public|
|December 18, 2019||Lisbon Public|
|February 2, 2020||Waukesha County|
CDBG Board Meeting
|March 9, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|March 26, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|April 15, 2020||USDA-RD Approvals||Standard|
|May 28, 2020||Plan Commission||Standard|
|June 25, 2020||Joint Plan Commission|
and Village Board,
|Standard Plus Mailing|
to adjacent properties
|July 2, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|July 13, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|August 10, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|September 14, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|September 24, 2020||Village Board and|
|October 1, 2020||Mailer Sent||Mailing – Villagewide|
|October 12, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|October 23, 2020||Mailer Sent||Mailing – Villagewide|
Zip Code and Each
Outside of Zip Code
|November 5, 2020||Public Hearing||Standard, Mailing to|
Each Property to be
Mailing to Each Impact
Fee Property that Already
has Water Main but is
|November 9, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|November 18, 2020||Village Board||Standard|
|December 4, 2020||Website Posting||Website Posting|
|December 14, 2020||Village Board||Standard|