Lannon Village Hall
20399 W. Main Street
P. O. Box 456
Lannon, WI 53046
Open to the public
Village Board – Every second Monday of the month
7:00pm at Village Hall
Plan Commission – last Thursday of the month 6:30 p.m. at Village Hall (as needed)
Board Response to Citizens Comments:
5/10/21 – Revised 6/1/21
COMPLAINT FORM – Fill out and return to the Village Hall
Throughout the 1830s, settlers, many of them being Irish immigrants, began to come to Lannon. Among the first was Isaac Howard who described the area as “The Valley of the headwaters of the Fox River.” Howard bought 80 acres to settle with his wife. In 1838 he opened Lannon’s first quarry. William N. Lannon, the namesake of the Village of Lannon, came in 1834 and came to acquire over 200 acres of land which had two springs. Lannon farmed and operated a quarry on the land which he named “Lannon Springs.” Land from Lannon Springs was donated to build the Willow Springs School and St. James Catholic Church.
The 1840 census of the Town of Menomonee (which included future Lannon) had a total settler population of 59 people. The settlers found plenty of stone to build their homes with, one settler proclaimed, “If they wanted a flagstone patio they just kicked the dirt aside and there it was.” The first major road was built and surveyed in 1844-45. By 1855 at least a dozen quarries were shipping stone to Milwaukee by team and wagon. Most of it was paving stone but another large portion was huge four-foot blocks of rock used for the Milwaukee breakwater. As the quarry industry boomed, it attracted more immigrants from Italy, Poland, and Germany. More businesses started to open up to tend to the needs of the settlers, among them a general store, butcher shop, and saloons. In 1890 the Bug Line RR tracks were built and used to ship more stone, in 1978 the tracks would be converted to the present-day Bug Line Trail.
William N. Lannon started an unofficial post office on his land in 1854 and applied for postal designation in 1864. But it wasn’t until a second application that the Lannon Post Office was approved on August 2, 1890, making “Lannon” the official name accepted by the postal service. It beat out “Hadfield”, after the other quarry baron Joe Hadfield, and “Stone City.” In 1916 the Lannon Volunteer Fire Company was started and was formally incorporated on April 3, 1917. In 1930 the Village of Lannon became incorporated. The first president elected that year was Alfred Meade, a brother of William N. Lannon.
After World War II, the stone industry changed primarily from paving stone, lime kilns and solid-wall building stone, to by-products such as disinfectants, ornamental landscaping rock, and thin veneer-facing stone for building. In 1959, more that thirty stone companies were listed in the yellow pages. Over time, the stone industry subsided. In the 1960s, Hadfield’s famous quarry developed into a swimming beach and fishing lake which today is known as Menomonee Park.
In 2001, the Waukesha County Historical Society recognized Lannon as the baseball capital of Waukesha County. Lannon has participated in the Land O’Lakes league since it started in 1922. Lannon has won more League Grand Championships than any other team and has been the first-ever team to win four straight Land O’Lakes grand championships. A Waukesha County Historical Society marker commemorates these achievements and the Lannon Land O’Lakes Hall of Famers at Schneider Field.